"The Toy Chest"




















In our spare time Jessie and I have started painting things for our son's room, and the other day I completed a toy chest that was bought at a thrift store. As I worked it occurred to me that my son will probably never recognize the detail I put into painting this little box. "An unnoticed perfection" thought I the painter. Then I began thinking of all the different toy chests people have painted for me during my life, their precise stroking of the brush, their time taken to wait as one coat dried so another coat could be added, and all the efforts cleaning up after the work was done; in that moment I became very grateful for those who have invested into me. The line is reversed, "like son, like father", as it is realized I too will never recognize every detail that has been put into painting my toy chest...