Familiarity



















This writing explains how I have found comfort lately in the home that Jessie and I have created in our six months of marriage. It has nothing to do with the physicality of this place, but rather the intangible things that we get to share together. A little over a year and half ago I moved to Ohio to pursue her and finish school. It wasn't until we got married and moved in together that the "home" feeling finally arose. I wanted to describe how this aspect of life has had an influence on me. Thank you for following along:


When you walk into the kitchen of our home, due to lack of cabinet space and electrical outlets, our toaster usually sets plugged in on the floor. At the beginning it seemed odd, but it has become common to both of us by now. We often walk into the kitchen and smile about how funny it looks, and in those moments when that happiness is experienced it surely is not the appliance that brings it about, but more appropriately what it symbolizes. The toaster on the floor is a familiarity of our house. It has become something that triggers a harmonizing of home with perception. The intertwining of our awareness and this place. As if God encourages this exchange of knowledge between an environment and humans.


The home is an alignment of lives into a single location. We dwell not beneath a roof, but below the heavens where the Lord is fully present in this house. My faithfulness can be perfected between these beams. There is no more of a real me then when I am within these walls. My insecurities pass away being survived by grace. I step through these rooms with a lion heart to be greeted with acceptance. I now know this place and these voices truly, and the familiarities of our home whisper to me sweet allegories of God's character...