Riding a Unicycle

The other day Jessie's dad and I got to talking about some boomerangs he has had for a long time, and eventually we bunny trailed the conversation to the fact that he had a unicycle sitting in the garage. Apparently the daughters bought it for him one year on his birthday. So obviously, being men, we then went to the garage so that we could stare at it for a while.

Ed went on to say that it was way more difficult to learn then anyone would ever expect, and if I broke a bone attempting to ride he would feel awful. He explained that acquiring the balance on a unicycle takes much patience. In fact, there is a pole that he held on to for two weeks in order to master standing on his own so that he could begin pedaling around. I brought the unicycle back to our house to learn how to ride. 

So now the bike has become a symbol to me of the importance for balance. I admit that often times I feel so unsteady with all that is going on in my life. As if my equilibrium for things has broken down like a faulty car on a busy highway. I juggle a marriage, school, work, my passions, and soon to be fatherhood. The role conflict can be tough, but as a man I find that pole to hold on to so that I can master standing on my own. Any great unicyclist makes riding look easy, and it all stems from the foundation of balance. So sometimes learning steadiness is that very first step to ever perfecting something...